I typically say that I offer Business Technology Strategy solutions in three baskets: Web Development, Technology Consulting, and Technology Training. The idea is that I do frontend and backend web development, and I also provide auxiliary servies related to understanding your technology needs and successfully using the products I build.
You can read below for more details, but I think the best way to understand what I offer to see actual projects in my portfolio.
Technology Consulting is about exploring your needs and constraints in order to find the right web solutions for you. The process usually begins with an initial discussion of what you’re trying to do, why you’re trying to do it, and how you suspect it should be done.
I then explore the problem in further depth, examining your current systems and researching what others have done to successfully resolve similar issues in order to make meaningful, actionable recommendations. You’ll want to consider Technology Consulting if you have questions like the following:
- How should I structure my business’s systems to be more efficient?
- What are cost-effective solutions to common business functions, such as email, website hosting, and accounting?
- What is the best way to organize the flow of information throughout my company?
- How do I design an email marketing campaign?
- What social media should I be using? How should I be using it?
- Should I be blogging? If so, how often and on what topics?
- Hybrid Design – This is the ‘lite’ version of the design process, where we work together to find a premium theme from a third-party vendor. I use this as the starting point for your website and make the necessary visual and functionality modifications to deliver a quality product that does what you need. Great for small businesses who are just getting started online or individuals looking for a portfolio site.
- Comprehensive Design – These projects follow the full design process. We explore your web needs, create original graphic mockups, code the site in a robust framework, and work to develop content. Your input is sought at every step of the process. Great for businesses who already have a website but are looking to upgrade.
- Mockup to Web Conversion – Already have a mock-up of the site you want from your own design team? I can turn your Photoshop file into an HTML website or WordPress theme.
- Theme Port (WordPress only) – Is your site using an older WordPress theme and just not running well anymore? Do you want to keep the look mostly intact, but make some visual upgrades, too? I can take your current theme and transfer it to a modern WordPress framework, such as WooTheme’s Canvas or StudioPress’s Genesis. This is a good way to give new life to your site without the hands-on time or cost of a full redesign. The code will be new and future-proof, but the site itself will look familiar.
- Microsite – This is a basic informational website (usually between one and five pages). Perfect for a splash page for an event, a ‘coming soon’ page preceding a product or full site launch, or a company without much content. Can be implemented as a static HTML page, or incorporated with a content management system.
You may have the best technology infrastructure money can buy, but you’ll never utilize its full potential if you lack the proper Technology Training to use it. I offer one-on-one tutoring, small group training sessions, and workshops on a variety of technologies and topics, including:
- From Idea to Prototype: Getting Your Company Started on the Web
- WordPress for Marketers
- WordPress for Webmasters
- Web Content Development (including SEO best practices)
I also provide documentation services.